Determining medical malpractice can be difficult because every case is different. But five common areas are the focus of most lawsuits. Three of them focus on non-surgical cases:
- Misdiagnosis. If a doctor does not properly diagnose your ailment, it can lead to improper or delayed treatment. The potential consequences include extended suffering and permanent injury. You also could sustain significant financial losses by wasting money on unnecessary treatments.
- Medication. Sometimes, you are prescribed the wrong medication. Or you receive medication meant for another patient. Most commonly, doctors are guilty of prescribing the incorrect dosage of a medication or fail to note how the drug may interact with other medication.
- Childbirth. A misdiagnosis can impact the health of an unborn child. Doctors sometimes fail to detect signs of birth defects. They also can miss how the mother’s medical condition affects the baby. In either case, the child can suffer severe injuries, including brain damage, bone fractures, and nerve damage. At worst, the mother can lose her child.
The other two common medical errors occur on the operating table, when you are at the mercy of the surgical team. They are:
- Negligence during surgery. Surgical mistakes are the most common subject of malpractice lawsuits. Surgeons sometimes are guilty of accidentally puncturing a patient, leaving surgical tools in the body, conducting the wrong procedure, and poor post-operative follow-up.
- Anesthesia administration. Mistakes by an anesthesiologist range from failing to consider a patient’s medical history to administering too much anesthesia. The consequences include brain damage and possible death.
Your Rights After a Medical Mistake
You have the right to sue a health care professional if his or her treatment results in a personal injury or worsens your suffering. The key is determining the negligence of your medical practitioner. Doctors, like everyone else, make mistakes. Like everyone else, they are reluctant to admit them.
If you feel that you are the victim of medical malpractice, the odds may seem like they are stacked against you. You are going up against a doctor, hospital administrators and their team of expert lawyers. At the same time, you are still suffering medical issues, which add to your stress. You may be out of work and unable to support your family. An insurance company, knowing that you are desperate for money, will try to tempt you with a lowball financial settlement.
The medical malpractice experts at Cherundolo Law Firm PLLC have been fighting for the rights of patients like you in Syracuse and Central New York since 2013. Our team is led by Judge John Cherundolo, a former Acting New York Supreme Court Justice. We will fight tirelessly on your behalf for justice and fair compensation for your injuries and suffering. Contact us today for a free consultation.